- Eurasian Resources Group
- Project manager on the customer side
- IT Provider
- Business & Technology services (part of ERG)
- Project timeline
- January, 2022 - June, 2023
- Project scope
- 4740 automated workstations
- Development and implementation of a web-based system to automate collecting and approving timesheets for payroll calculation in SAP HCM.
- Project Results
Project implmented a solution for automatic generation of a timesheet based on data from the enterprise personnel system (SAP HCM) with automatic updates every 15 minutes. The parameters to record working hours became flexibly configurable for either office or industrial enterprises. Various format and logical controls developed to prevent users from entering erroneous data. In addition to filling out and viewing timesheet records, the system implements a 3-level scheme for approving timesheets for the period - verification by personnel, approval by the manager and confirmation by the payroll officer.
Business management now have a complete picture of personnel performance and could resolve controversial issues thanks to integrations with access control systems (time spent onsite), a system for recording time spent working with PC, and MES/MOM systems. The system covers managers of all ranks (about 5 thousand users) of all entities within ERG group and helps to save resources on the purchase and annual renewal of SAP timesheets module.
The uniqueness of the project
Project was aimed to development of a home-grown solution as a low-cost alternative to timesheets module in SAP.
The resulting solution was able to automate manual work for about 5 thousand employees due to tight integration into IT landscape. Highly configurable logic made it possible to setup different timeshift schemes, payment add-ons, employee substitutions, etc. Smart logical controls and scalable architecture made it possible to onboard all target users at 8 geographical locations within 4 months.
Business management now have a complete picture of personnel performance and could resolve controversial issues thanks to integrations with access control systems (time spent onsite), a system for recording time spent working with PC, and MES/MOM systems. The system covers managers of all ranks (more than 5 thousand users) of all entitie within ERG group and helps to save resources on the purchase and annual renewal of SAP timesheets module.
Reporting forms were designed to maximize convenience of HR and finance management, and check the timesheet filling status.
- Used software
No specialized software is necessary to use e-Timesheet. It runs on any PC with a browser and also within a corporate mobile app.
Web-application was developed from scratch on Java stack with Postgres as DBMS.
Interfaces setup with SAP HCM, PC monitoring system, Access control systems, MES platform, production dispatch systems.
- Difficulty of implementation
The main difficulties the project team encountered:
1) Historically heterogeneous processes for recording working hours at ERG enterprises. In addition to the development and implementation of the automated system it was necessary to standardize the process and implement it in all entities (more than 30);
2) Implementation of the system under conditions of uncertainty - the development was made in parallel with the development of a methodology for recording working hours;
3) A large number of integrations;
4) Imperfection of the initial personnel data, a significant part of the identification of data inconsistencies and errors in the personnel data occurred at the stage of implementation of the system by end users;
5) Implementation of system interfaces taking into account the specifics: most of end users are foremen, site managers, production superintendents, who are far from IT. It was also necessary to minimize manual input and add various “tricks” for users’ convenience - for example, indicate sick leave or professional leave training for a certain period, choose a one-day work schedule instead of manually filling a shift, etc.
6) The need to train over 4,740 end users over a period of 4 months for the system launch.
- Project Description
e-Timesheet is a system for recording working time data and coordinating employee timesheets. The application is good to use in both office and industrial enterprises with a continuous production cycle. The application is integrated with SAP HCM systems – reflection organizational structure, list of employees, work schedules of employees, their presence and absence, updated once every 15 minutes. Integration with access control systems (reflection of time on site), a time control system on a working PC, and production systems (time from waybills and work at smelting furnaces) has also been completed. The most ergonomic data entry for employees has been implemented - with the ability to select a one-day work schedule, filling out deviations according to the schedule for the period, and added numerous format and logical control checks. All this allows to minimize manual data entry, as well as to increase the reliability and transparency of information about working hours, gives the manager a clear picture of the employee’s work and allows to make organizational and management decisions.
In a customizable period, responsible employees check, approve and confirm monthly timesheets, without the need for paper-based or email correspondence. Once confirmed the data is automatically migrated to SAP HCM to calculate and process payroll data.
- Project geography
ERG Group in the Republic of Kazakhstan - more than 30 entities, with a total of more than 60,000 employees.
The beginning of the year was marked by a flurry of activity by various legislators to deal with artificial intelligence. The New York Times filed a lawsuit against OpenAI and Microsoft, and the UAE created an AI council to accelerate the adoption of AI systems in critical sectors of the economy.
What should a business solution be, so that it is chosen by young people, but at the same time not rejected by older professionals? Maybe beauty will save the peace in the team, because everyone wants to work in an application that looks beautiful? It is true, but User Interface (UI) is good when it is based on User Experience (UX). If harmony between UI and UX is achieved, the product will be both beautiful and user-friendly.
Choosing between cross-platform development and native development for iOS and Android is not just a technical decision, it is a strategy that can determine the future of your mobile product.
Andrey Lukin, senior PHP-developer at an international dating startup, tells us how to create and implement an internal framework into the team's workflow so that the results live up to expectations.